Hey, it’s another issue of The Papertrail Occasional. If there’s a theme this time around, it’s “Logs, when and how you want them.” Not too verbosely:
1. Search alerts
2. Painless date/time finder
4. Custom styling
5. Automatic group membership
6. Easy app log encryption
.. plus customer creativity (Rails, chef, puppet), a bit of horn-tooting, and our new support chat room.
1. SEARCH ALERTS. Send important log messages to a monitoring system email alias, Campfire chat room, or your HTTP URL with Papertrail’s new search alerts. Get notified immediately, every hour, or daily.
2. PAINLESS DATE/TIME FINDER. Know when something happened? Get there faster with a (much!) smarter date and time finder. Type or paste almost any common timestamp or relative date and It Should Just Work (TM).
Read how we mixed Date.js and elbow grease in last week’s blog announcement.
3. COLORS. NOT TOO MANY. Want more contrast in your logs? Papertrail’s log viewer can now colorize the system and program links. We tried to add contrast without creating a technicolor clown car. Not knocking clowns.
See a screenshot and flip it on in log colorization setup.
4. CUSTOM STYLING. Maybe you want a certain program or system to be bright red. Or a smaller font. Or you really do want a clown car theme.
5. AUTOMATIC GROUP MEMBERSHIP. Our trek towards effortless setup continues: systems can join a Papertrail group based on where they log to. Use one destination for Production and one for Staging (or West and East) to skip a manual step.
And a few tweaks: groups support more than one system wildcard (like: www*, *myapp*). After all systems have started logging, flip a switch to stop accepting new systems.
6. EASY APP LOG ENCRYPTION. On-the-wire encryption with one command. Papertrail’s remote_syslog collector now supports TLS. Run “gem install remote_syslog” then start it with the ”—tls” argument.
Instructions on Add System cover how to transmit any log file with encryption.
Not to be outdone, CUSTOMER CREATIVITY. A few recent creations:
And 4 lines of HORN-TOOTING:
- we’re the geekiest Startup of the Week in recent memory
- our own Eric Lindvall guest blogs for New Relic on Extending New Relic Custom Parameters
- people love us on Twitter
That’s all for now. Logging off,
Troy, for Papertrail